Saturday, November 19, 2005

"Breaking Through Limitations" with John Kanary

I attended the above-titled talk organized by NACLI, John Kanary International, and The Educated Mind. I am usually (and still am) very skeptical about such motivational talks but this particular on was rather interesting. I have to agree to most of what was presented in it though I have reservations on a couple of Kanary's ideas that conflicted with my personal principles and beliefs.

This talk is about how we are who we are because of our own beliefs. Each of us has infinite potential to succeed in whatever we want to do but are often restricted by our own beliefs. We all have both a conscious mind and a sub-conscious mind. We are fed ideas, expectations, experiences, and teachings into our counscious mind, forming paradigms. These paradigms eventually get into our sub-conscious mind as beliefs. It is some of these old paradigms and beliefs that are holding most people back from doing want they want and can do.
I took home with me a few sentences which I want to share:

    "To do more, remove the obstacles in your mind."
    "As you accept a thought, it is impressed upon the second part of your personality."
    "Nothing needs to happen for you to be happy."
    "Don't let doubt be a reflection of yourself."
    "...stop minimizing what we can accomplish and to stop believing that others have something we have not."

However, I also want to point out the differing views I have with some of Kanary's (John vs Me):
- beliefs vs abilities
- wants vs purposes
- monetary/material gains and success vs spiritual happiness and ease of living
- high(er) expectations vs self-contentment
- limitations vs responsibilities

So what do I want? Happiness in a simple peaceful life with freedom to pursue knowledge. Can Kanary help me? Yes to a certain extent but I am the only one who can make the decision to control my life. The decision that will be based on my morals, values, principles, and priorities. Will I break my beliefs? Maybe yes, maybe no...