Thursday, January 10, 2008

Surgery or No Surgery?

I went to see my orthopaedic doctor this afternoon after a 10-year "disappearance act" on my part as I felt that it's time to check out the status of my bones; bones that are already fragile to begin with and have gone through soon-to-be 32 years of ageing. For these ten years, I thought I have done enough to let my fractured bones heal and I have minimal but sufficient exercise to protect them. Alas no! Unfortunately, my right femur has never healed after all these years. Today's X-ray not only shows that the fracture is still there, the disjointed bones have shifted and are solely hold together by the implanted metal rod.

Therefore the doctor gave me a choice. Surgery and I may have a (long) shot at walking or no surgery but maintain on wheelchair without worsening. I really don't feel like having another surgery that is as major as such. I don't know whether my body can take another cut as surgery is very draining, both mentally and physically. Though the doctor said I should have no problem with the surgery physically, it is up to me to be mentally prepared.

I really don't know what to do. Another surgery is going to set me back in so many aspects of my life. And I am not optimistic that it will work as intended. However, it may be my last chance of fixing the fracture before I am too old to do it. So can anyone reading this throws some advice please? I am really at a lost...






1 Comment »

   1. A couple of friends have asked about my decision and I have decided not to do the surgery. The reason is that I think I am already past the age where my bones will grow much so the healing process may not be there to be useful anymore.

        James — March 28, 2008 @ 1:23 pm