Sunday, June 7, 2009

Kuala Sedili - where my childhood memories were

 
Jetty to Sedili Besar
The only Chinese restaurant still there
I managed to hitch a ride by my uncle-in-law (a last minute rush decision) to go back to Kuala Sedili of Kota Tinggi, Johor, West Malaysia, on Friday. It is a small fishing kampong (village) where my maternal grandmother used to live 20 years ago. My last visit was also more than that, and no one in the family has visited since my grandmother moved out to Johor Bahru. I still remember the 2-hour journeys we had to endure to get there from Singapore, with my dad being the sole driver. We used to go there every Chinese New Year and every alternate school holidays. The Chinese New Year trips were the most trying as they usually involved embarking just past midnight to avoid the massive jams at the Woodlands customs at the causeway. However, all the hardships were worth it as I had some of my best childhood living in the rural environment: looking at the cows and goats, fishing at the jetty, and playing on the secluded bay beach.

The kampong is now a slightly bigger town. There are more people and better facilities though developments are still modest. There is now a bridge linking Kuala Sedili and Sedili Besar where only ferries could reach just a few years ago. Our old house has been taken over by an unknown owner and is in a dilapidated state. What a shame that I wasn't old enough to be able to do something to preserve the house then. Besides, it wouldn't be practical to keep it anyway. There are chalets and resorts at the Jason Bay we used to have so much fun and near the village now so we still can stay the night if we do visit again. Some of my grandmother's neighbours still live there and they do remember my parents well enough so the place is not entirely unfamiliar to us despite the changes.

Childhood memories in an old place...

Fishing boats at the jetty

No comments:

Post a Comment