Saturday, June 16, 2007

How many messaging services do you use?

I am now subscribed to 5 6 (edited on 24 Aug: just found another one I was not aware of) messaging services. Thank goodness to GAIM on my Ubuntu platform, I can access all of them at the same time. It is a nightmare to install 5 messenger programs on my Windows machine so I basically uninstall most of them. Since I can access Y!M and GTalk on their respective email webpages, I don't need to install them anymore. As my company blocks almost all messaging services, I only have Skype running on my company's laptop, apart from my company's own messenger.

So what are the messaging services I use? In summary:
  1. Yahoo! Messenger (userid: nghianja) - most of my friends on it.
  2. Google Talk (userid: nghianja) - easy to use.
  3. Skype (userid: nghianja) - finally subscribed to it because it is the only one to get pass my company's proxy, shh...
  4. ICQ (userid: 77392799) - my first messenger but rarely use it now.
  5. MSN (userid: james.ng@t-est.com) - forced to register when I wanted to download a software; using it reluctantly.
  6. AIM (userid: nghianja): only just found out that it is linked to my netscape webmail.
  7. Jabber (userid: id10836) - my company's personal messaging service, so not counted above.
But now that Y!M and MSN are linked and one can message another, we don't really need that many messengers. Hopefully that is a way for me to combine all my messaging services into one.