Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 0 of My Solo Switzerland Trip

I am writing this entry (on paper) while waiting in transit at Dubai International (0628 hrs) with 2 hours to daze. the 5959 km on a crowded EK405 was uneventful but still not conducive for me to sleep. Though I am in transit, my wheelchair has gone on its journey to Zurich. I hope it will be waiting for me there. For the moment, I am pretty much stuck in the transit area with no mobility.

This trip is definitely THE most adventurous task I have ever undertaken. An osteogenesis imperfecta guy on wheelchair; someone coming from the tropics going to a cold climate; with no one accompanying, doesn't seem to be a sound plan at all. A once gung-ho click on the confirm button on the ticket booking screen that that was so full of confidence and enthusiasm is now beset with nervousness and uncertainty.

Did I pack enough warm clothing? Can I secure transport correctly and timely? Is the hotel booked really convenient for me? Am I able to move around freely with a luggage in tow?

Oh well, all I can do now is to keep my wits and not panic in front of any unforeseen circumstances. I don't want to waste all the effort, confidence and support my family has given me...

"A weak man has doubts before a decision, a strong man has them afterwards." -- Karl Kraus

NB: Subsequent entries to the blog about this trip will be written in Chinese for the benefit of my mum. Translations into English will be done for a dedicated website at a later date.